Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Thorn in my Side

The Bible tells us that Paul battled a "thorn in his side."  I don't mean to minimize or make light of it, but I have a thorn, too, and as ridiculous as it is, I am being completely honest with you when I tell you that it brings me great anguish.  I've harbored this thorn since the day I was born, although it has taken various forms.  As a tiny baby, I could have been called "Onion-head," for I was as bald as a bat.  As a three year old, I wore a blanket on my head and even tied it in pig-tails in an effort to give myself the appearance of long hair.  Then, as an elementary school student I envied the straight, long tresses of my friends.  Mine wouldn't grow and what did was a wild tangle of frizzy locks.   As a freshman in college, I yanked out my first gray hair, and my battle with the mop on top continued in a whole new way.  I began a strict color regiment, and then just over a year ago began permanently straightening it.  The color quickly fades, and the permanent straightening process is a joke.  My stubborn coiffure maintains it's curly quirks, despite my best efforts to the contrary.

And so this is what our friend Paul says to the Corinthians, "To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me". (2 Corinthians 12:7-9, NIV)

I hesitate even to bring up this passage, because to compare myself to Paul is beyond ridiculous.  You may be reading this blog post, and thinking, "Is she FOR REAL?  This is what she has to deal with...curly hair?  I would LOVE curly hair."  And that's true.  Many people would love to have curly hair.  I assure, you, however, that you would not want mine.  The time and effort required to give it any semblance of manageability, in addition to the sheer amount of product consumed to tame the mane is enough to fill a cesspool two acres wide.  I don't even want to consider the amount of money I have spent on relaxers, conditioners, balms, sprays, oils, mousse, gel, and restructuring cremes.  I tell you, my cabinet is a filament graveyard, filled with half-empty bottles of stranded promises.  I'm no longer bald or gray, but my locks are a far cry from beautiful.

As I write this, I am contemplating additional treatments and a drastic haircut that I fear will make me look like the stereotype I've been fighting for the last twelve years:  MOM.  I love being a mom, so like my mini-van, perhaps my hair can serve as an additional badge of honor.  Accept the burden and embrace the blessing.  Right?  My husband whispers this verse in my ear, and even though my vanity tries to drown it out, I know the words are true:

I Peter 3:3-5:  Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. 4 Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.  (NIV)

I do so desire that gentle and quiet spirit.  To be valued by God is so much more desirable than that of the world.  The peer pressure (which, by the way, does not end when high school is over) is so overwhelming, though, that I am having a hard time keeping this verse at the forefront of my thoughts and prayers.  Inner, unfading beauty...beauty that doesn't need special treatment and that instead rests in the quiet understanding of what God is doing in me is my hope. 

I just hope I don't lose any hair over it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chantel...God made us in His image, some with curly hair and some with straight. You are so beautiful from the inside out, don't fret, let it be. Save your money and accept the beauty He gave you. :) you are such a wonderful mother and Godly young woman, you inspire me! xx

    ReplyDelete