Friday, November 18, 2011

Thank God!

I've been avoiding this thankfulness bandwagon for awhile now.  It's not because I'm not thankful. I just feel like something this important should be intricately woven into every breath I take.  When did gratitude become trendy?

2 Thessalonians 5:18--Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 
In everything?  
Yes. 
Always?  Absolutely. 

Yet, I have to admit that finishing a Bible Study today caused me to take pause and reflect over the sum of my life.  Surely, I am grateful for it.  For all of it.  All those "I should have done that differently" times God has used to bring me to this place.  The forks in the road of indecision, the intersections of my life's relationships, the stop signs, where God gently whispered, "Not yet.  Not now."  I am thankful for all of it. 

Sometimes, I feel like I am careening down the interstate of parenthood, begging God to let me off at the next exit.  And just when I think I'm never going to get where I want to go, I crest a hill and see a beautiful sunrise brimming over the horizon.  That's where I am now.  The scenery is breathtaking.  The company is energizing, and the sun is warm.  I welcome the bends in the road, the potholes, and even the blind driveways.  In those, God surprises me with things I never thought possible.  Thank you, Lord, for your many gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment