Thursday, January 13, 2011

This Week's Top Ten

While most of my friends are complaining about being stuck at home this week with their kids because of the snow and ice that is out, I am instead thanking God for this unexpected gift.  Not to seem hyper-spiritual here but haven't we all prayed for a few days at home so we could sleep, organize, cook, etc?  You get the picture.  We say out loud that we wish we weren't so busy and that we could just have a moment to slow down.  Then, when it's given to us, we whine and complain that we need to get out and DO something.  I am reminded of the Israelites as they made their way from Egypt through the desert toward the promised land.  All along the way, God provided for their immediate needs but time and time again they cried out to God, "Why have you brought us here to die"?  Seriously, people?  Didn't God JUST give you the very thing you asked for? Not only the thing you asked for, but the thing he knew you needed before you even asked!  This week, I am choosing to live out the following verse:  "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this God's will for you in Christ Jesus."--1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. 

So, here it goes:  My Top Ten best things about this week:
10)  My checkbook is balanced.
9)  I am saving money because I can't go out to spend any.
8)  We've eaten at home as a family every single night.
7)  Aside from an errant casserole, I've cooked a delicious dinner every night.
6)  My basement is organized.
5)  I finished three books.
4)  I am reading my Bible!
3)  My house is clean.
2)  My laundry is done.
1)  And best of all, I get to spend quality time with my family.

If you're reading this blog post, certainly some or maybe even all of the things that have shown up on my list, have shown up on your list of "to do's" at one time or another.  You wish you had more time, so you could eat a dinner at home or catch up on that load of laundry that threatens to overtake the hampers in your kids' rooms.  Moreover, we've ALL wished that we could spend more time with our families.

Friends, this week, we've been given an amazing gift.  Not only did we enjoy a rare Georgia snowfall, we've been given the gift of TIME.  And that's something, along with money and promises, we're all terrible at making and saving. 

Psalm 46:10:  Be still and know that I am God.

Savor this gift.  Use it wisely.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You have a blog!
    I agree, people need to enjoy this time a little more. Although, I'm here by myself so it's not as much fun as having 4 kids and a husband around. There is only so much conversation I can have with Lulu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Chantel! This is a wonderful reminder and so full of wisdom. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me to seek out practicing the secrets of being content in all circumstances.

    ReplyDelete