Monday, April 9, 2012

The Benefits of Boredom

We didn't go anywhere on Spring Break this year.  As the academic year winds down, I realize that we've had no less than six weeks off school, in addition to a number of teacher furlough days.  If our family traveled every time there was a school holiday, we would surely be in the poor house.  Of course, I'm perfectly okay with that.  As a mom of four kids ages 4-12, I'm never bored.  My four kids ages 4-12, however, are always bored.

I didn't even realize that we were the only ones home this week until I got on Facebook and saw everyone's beach vacation pictures.  Now, there's something that will take the wind right out of your sails.  I was sitting there all content catching up on my laundry and spring de-cluttering when all of a sudden I realized that the rest of the world was lolling the day away in a sunny paradise.  I thought, We have to do something!  The kids can't go back to school on Monday after having been home all week!  What will they write about when the teacher asks them to take out their journal and compose the dreaded theme:  "What I Did on Spring Break"?.

But the thing is--we really didn't go anywhere.  We couldn't.  I'm trying to start a little non-profit and the van needs new tires and well, we just spent several days vacationing out of town in February.  And honestly, with the way time is flying these days, that just seems like yesterday.  So back to point:  I'm never bored.  I'm completely engrossed in a Stephen King novel and I'm doing a little writing and I'm researching this nonprofit thing, and every morning the kids are waking up and the first thing out of their mouths is, "What are we doing today?"

Blah.

I'm just thrilled I'm not getting up at 5:00 AM to squeeze in my workout before getting the kids up for school and I'm thanking the good Lord that we're eating dinner as a family every single night because no one is rushing off to soccer practice and I'm relaxing with my book and my laptop in the evening because I'm not having to help anyone with homework.  Truly, if there is a heaven on earth this is it.

I don't need a beach.

And yet everyday during the last week, I heard the words, "I'm bored" at least four times because each kid had to say it at least once.  We watered the neighbors plants, we planted our own garden, we decorated cookies and Easter eggs and made s'mores in our backyard fireplace.  We played at the park and stopped at Starbucks for hot chocolate--just because.  We turned on the lawn sprinklers and played make-believe store.  How can we say we're bored?  Our family played together.  Did you get that?  We stayed home and played.

Like I told you, I'm never bored.  But these four kids (ages 4-12), well, I don't think they are either.  It took a couple of days, but once they got used to the space they figured out how to fill it all by themselves.  We didn't have to go anywhere on an airplane.  And we didn't uncover this secret by digging in the sand.  Boredom doesn't have a chance in a realm where space and time intersect.  Creativity flourishes, and ultimately four kids (ages 4-12) realized how much they really do love being together.  But don't ask them about that.  They would never admit it.  Ask them about their Spring Break, and the answer you'll probably get is, "We didn't get to go anywhere!  And my mom is so boring!"

Oh, well.  I'll take boring over broke any day of the week.

2 comments:

  1. Chantel - girl, I am sooooo with you! We did not go anywhere for spring break either and I admit I got pretty sad/jealous of everyone's cool vacation pics on Facebook....sigh....miss you down here in PTC.
    (((((((hugs)))))))) Cele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. By the way, I have learned as a mother of three that even when they grow up, they will never admit they enjoyed being together or that they were not bored being at home. :)

    ReplyDelete