Friday, February 3, 2012

Female by Design

Priscilla Shirer's challenging Resolution for Women is inspiring, to say the least.  This week's resolution, "Purposefully Feminine", proved especially insightful.  Every other time I've studied God's view of women, it has been in the context of the much beloved woman found in Proverbs 31:  "A wife of noble character, who can find?"  After reading verses 10-31 to myself, I always sarcastically answered "Exactly.  Who CAN find?" 

Priscilla Shirer conspicuously leaves out this citation altogether, and I don't think it's because she doesn't agree with it's implications.  She's a resourceful author and references feminine virtues that point to Jesus rather than another woman.  Maybe she's protecting us from the jealousy we inevitably feel whenever we're compared to that great woman. 

Whenever we're compared to any other woman. 

Erroneously, we believe that we can't measure up.  God's word affirms that our unique gifts make us special, useful, and worthy.  Whether feminine or masculine, our purpose is the same:  to point others to Christ.  How do we do that?  I apologize in advance, but I'll have to use that culturally taboo word:  SUBMISSION.  All it really means is that I'm willing to put you before me.  Your deal before my deal.

The Proverbs 31 Woman shows herself in eleven primary characteristics.  She's
  • Virtuous
  • Trustworthy
  • Energetic
  • Physically Fit
  • Economical
  • Unselfish
  • Prepared
  • Honorable
  • Prudent
  • Loving
  • God-Fearing
It's egocentric to think that all of those eleven characteristics are exclusively female.  Yet, I find it extremely gratifying that God created us to exemplify them through the outpouring of our character as we interact with our family, co-workers, and friends.  Understanding that he created me for the role I am in now inspires me to embrace  and uphold Biblical femininity purely for the virtue, if not because it's the will of God for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment